In a few days we will be starting a new year. I love January because it represents a fresh start. We get the opportunity to mentally have a clean slate. Physically, in our surroundings, we start the year by taking down all of the holiday decorations, symbolizing a simplification of sorts. As we are putting away all the extra stuff, we have the opportunity to re-think what exactly we will be putting back out. We get to clean and organize and it feels freeing and fresh.
When we start a new year we get to put the previous year behind us. But we take with us all the lessons we have learned, some the hard way and others just from experience or advice. With that being said, here are my top 15 things about life and style that I learned this year.
1.These are the best tank tops at the best price. They will cover your crotch and disguise your derriere. Long torso girls rejoice! Your prayers have been answered.
2. A great latte can salvage a bad day,Philter in Kennett Square has the best. Don’t forget to take care of yourself and treat yourself when you most need it.
3. Fold and file your t-shirts. This is my saving grace to keeping my son’s drawers somewhat manageable.
4. Can’t figure out which jeans are which? Try folding at the knees (as opposed to in thirds) and sort by type (ankle, flare, skinny) and wash (dark rinse, light, distressed). Now you can see the leg type and the color.
5. Small containers used to hold nuts/bolts/nails at the hardware store are also awesome for holding, sorting and protecting your jewelry when traveling.
6. If you are going to wear a hat go big or go home. Don’t find a hat to go with a dress. Find the hat you love and then find a dress. It’s much easier this way because there are more outfit options than hat options.
8. Buy a pair of rain boots. I promise you that you will use them and be grateful.
9. While you are at it, grab a metallic colored shoe. I swear it will go with almost everything in your closet.
10. Don’t ever underestimate the power of a mother when it comes to her children. By far my most popular post this year was about this amazing mom I am proud to call my friend. Read it HERE if you missed it.
11. Not all Modern Art is appropriate when you are in charge of chaperoning a group during a field trip. I’m still not sure what this is and I don’t think I want to know.
12. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the whole extreme hair color trend. Then I worked on styling the outfits for this photo shoot at Currie Hair, Skin and Nails. Can you say drop-dead gorgeous???
13. Want to eat the most amazing cupcake ever? Run to Dia Doce in West Chester, PA. They also have a truck that they will bring for parties. I’m thinking of throwing a “It’s a Tuesday party” just so I have an excuse to have the truck at my house and eat 20 cupcakes.
15. And finally, if you love your dog then please don’t let them wear pantyhose.
And one last thing…if you are still reading…to all of you that take them time to like, comment or share my posts, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. My blog is such a personal labor of love, and I can’t tell you how happy it makes me when I hear that someone enjoyed something I wrote. So far no one has been cruel enough to come up to me and tell me how much they hate it, so I’m pretty grateful for that! But I seriously never thought anyone would read it, or keep reading it. If I can make you laugh, keep things real, and give you a tip for your clothes, your closet, or even your life, I am thrilled.
Cheers to a new year!